Re: CGI.pm and the untrusted-URL problem

From: Olaf Seibert (rhialtoat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 05:28:17 PST

    On Mon 14 Feb 2000 at 14:01:48 -0500, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
    > The successful exploit requires a remarkable chain of extreme forgiveness:
    > 1- The web browser must accept an illegal URL from (possibly valid,
    >    although very unusual) HTML.
    > 2- The web browser must send an illegal HTTP request with the illegal
    >    URL, without %-encoding the URL to make it legal.
    > 3- The HTTP server must accept the illegal HTTP request.

    Squid, when used as a proxy, does not accept these incorrect URLs. Since
    I installed it as a "transparent proxy", I tend to get error messages
    from Squid about this from time to time. Usually this is due to sloppy
    HREFs, not anything malicious.

    -Olaf.
    --
    ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialtoat_private     -- If one tells the truth,
    \X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)