Re: ANNOUNCE: Medusa DS9 security system

From: elijah wright (elwat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 20:32:39 PST

    >  communicates with the kernel using character device to send and receive
    >  "packets". Daemon contains the whole logic and implements the concrete
    >  security policy. That means, that medusa can (as opposite to another
    [...]
    >  * ability to enforce process to execute an arbitrary code. This feature
    >    is usefull to enforce logging drom that process and so.

    the fact that your program has both a userspace and a kernel-space
    component makes it almost immediately suspect as "vulnerable".  kind of
    funny for me to get to reply to a "security tool" announcement with a
    notice-of-warning.

    has the source to the userspace module been audited yet?  hopefully by
    someoen other than the authors?

    that last part sounds like it might make, with a few mods, a great 3l33t
    h@x0r tool :)  perhaps it might be most useful to someone good enough to
    get a rootshell but not good enough to hack away at the process table by
    themselves.

    all in all, this thing scares me.

    elijah