Re: Packet Tracing (linux klog patch)

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 02:17:22 PST

    In a word.. no I'm not sure because I haven't seen
    it here. That is not an indication that it isn't necessarily there.
    Of course I'm testing using an smp machine that isn't
    doint anything else but that sooo it may not be a valid test.
    I'll ask you about more symptoms of that off line and get
    back to the list with a summary.

    I just peeked a NeTraMet. again - still looks neat. I looked
    at it last summer or fall and had decided that I really didn't
    want an SNMP mib hollering my traffic statistics to the world
    so that stealth attacks can come in more easily. But I'll look
    at it again... Does anyone have any benchmark data for it?
    Then I'll look at my isp's netflow settings on their router. :-)
    I've never looked hard at the security of cisco netflow. :-(
    Has anyone else?

    In similar veins, for more lightly loaded networks, you should
    check out ntop, and for heavier loads snort's logging. One
    other option is good old tcpdump or maybe logging in iptraf.
    I wanted to put this in the kernel to provide an almost binary
    bare sensor system to add just one more layer of fun and
    hassle for intrusion.

    Removable drive carriers allow export of the data to analysis
    stations because the sensors are so stripped as to make them virtually
    useless for any other function and hopefully devoid of most
    vulnerabilities. Kernel, sh, syslogd and a trivial filesystem should
    suffice. Maybe only kill, cp/mv and cron for log files....
    As a matter of fact you should even be able to disable
    the IP stack and have it work. Call it the data motel
    security model and approach... :-)

    cheers,
    --dr

    --
    dursec.com / kyx.net - we're from the future                      http://www.dursec.com
    learn kanga-foo from security experts: CanSecWest - April 19-21 Vancouver

    Speakers: Ron Gula/NSW, Ken Williams/E&Y, Marty Roesch/Hiverworld, Fyodor/insecure.org,
              RainForestPuppy/wiretrip.net, Theo de Raadt/OpenBSD, Max Vision/whitehats.com