Re: snmp problems still alive...

From: Damir Rajnovic (drajnoviat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 06:47:54 PST

    Hello there,

    Since I am mentioned here it deserves a reply.

    At 18:18 15/02/2000 -0500, John Comeau wrote:
    >Cisco 1924s for sure have "public" as rw string and "private" for ro,
    >and I'm about 80% sure the 2924 does too.
    >
    >Many Cisco routers have an snmp "feature" with security ramifications
    >which Damir Rajnovic has agreed to post to Bugtraq (as of Jan. 1), but I
    >guess Cisco's lawyers have to hash it out for a few more weeks before
    >he'll be allowed to. If he doesn't, I will - jc

    I still own a reply to John and wider audience and I am aware of that.
    It is true that John found a 'feature' that is cause of some concern
    and the only reason why I did not disclose it is that is not fixed jet.
    I am assuring you that lawyers do not have anything with that. A fix
    is a documentation fix. I was assured by people who are writing that
    part of code (SNMP) that this particular behavior is according to the
    specification (SNMPv3).

    Mind you, I am not downplaying significance of that issue but merely
    stating the facts.

    Cheers,

    Gaus
    Damir Rajnovic <psirtat_private>, PSIRT Incident Manager, Cisco Systems
    <http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/sec_incident_response.shtml>
    Phone: +44 7715 546 033
    4 The Square, Stockley Park, Uxbridge, MIDDLESEX UB11 1BN, GB
    There is no insolvable problems. Question remains: can you
    accept the solution?