AUTORUN.INF Vulnerability

From: Eric Stevens (ejstevenat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 21:07:01 PST

    --introduction--
    There is a small, but potentially very dangerous vulnerability in Windows
    (all versions as far as I know, should be 95,98,NT4 SP*, but only really
    dangerous on NT machines) regarding an autorun.inf file.

    --background--
    Autorun.inf is a file that is primarily used on CD's containing information
    basically on what to do when a new CD is entered into the drive.  The type
    of information that this file can contain, to the best of my knowledge, is
    an icon to display for the drive, and executables to run, the executable can
    actually be broken down by platform if needs be.

    --descriptive introduction--
    The vulnerability exists because the autorun.inf file does not apply only to
    CD drives, or even removable media.  Actually, this file can be placed on
    any drive, with exactly the same effects (a refresh of the drive list may be
    in order).  I've used it to place cute little icons on my drives.  If no
    icon is specified, the system default icon for that drive is used.

    --the meat and an example--
    The vulnerability is that it is somewhat arbitrary for a programmer to throw
    together a small executable that checks the current user, and possibly that
    user's permissions on the local machine.  This executable could be a file
    that detects user privileges, and if the user does not possess
    administrative privileges, then it invokes Explorer on that directory to
    open the directory like normal.  If administrative privileges are possessed,
    then it can invoke some other executable, such as a trojan horse virus, or
    it could itself be a trojan
    horse which implements whatever it's little virus heart desires, such as
    promoting privileges on the originating user.

    --more on the example--
    When an administrator logs on locally, they may double click that drive (it
    can be done to all of them), and run the malicious executable, with out
    their knowledge.  Our little trojan may even continue on to open Explorer to
    keep the administrator blissfully unaware that they have just been
    compromised.

    --the limitation--
    This exploit requires write access to the root directory of a local drive in
    order to work.  That's not all that uncommon a permission to have,
    especially for a non-C: drive.  Similarly, any exploit allowing the
    uploading of arbitrary files to the root directory of any drive makes this a
    very real exploit; no directory guessing, i.e. did they name the WIN
    directory Windows or Winnt?

    --the workaround--
    Disable the autorun feature.  There's a key for it somewhere in the
    registry.

    --possible difficulties with the workaround--
    There are actually two levels of autorun to disable. One is where it no
    longer checks newly inserted media for an autorun, one is where it never
    checks for an autorun file at all.  The first one still leaves the
    vulnerability open, as a refresh of the drive list will detect the autorun
    file, making autorun the default action, but not actually running it.
    VMWare disables autorun (or at least provides an option to) but this is
    actually the first, insecure one.  I believe, but am not certain, that
    TweakUI will disable autorun file detection.  To test it, disable the
    playing of data CD's in Tweak, log out and back in, drop a CD with autorun
    into the drive, open My Computer, hit refresh (F5), double click the CD
    drive.  If the autorun plays, you've not implemented the workaround
    properly.

    --how to know if you're affected--
    You can tell if a drive has an autorun file on it if you right click the
    drive, and see Autorun as the primary (bolded) function.

    --appology--
    Sorry if any of this is incoherent, sleep need I more, yes?