Re: flex license manager tempfile predictable name...

From: David Evans (daevansat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 08:19:01 PST

    Sp00n,

    Sorry to rain on your parade but I'm sure this has been reported some
    time back. This is the default operation for Sun's licensing but
    you can solve this easily.

    While the file is there you don't need to be root to install licenses.
    The GlobeTrotter website (www.globetrotter.com), who produce the
    daemon, have a FAQ on installing licences and other information about the
    lmgrd daemon.

    I've been using there site to install updated binaries for licences such as
    FrameMaker and Sun's compilers for years. Read the FAQ and install the
    licences and run the daemon under its own ID would be my suggestion.

    djve

    sp00n wrote:

    > During the install of workshop pro 5.0 the flex license manager creates a
    > file in /var/tmp/license_errors, since /var/tmp is writable by anyone and
    > the tmp filename is predictable... you can see the problems here to
    > install licenses you need to be root. so, it could be nasty if this file
    > was a link...
    >
    > -rw-r--r--   1 root   other    394 Feb  4 13:48 /var/tmp/license_errors
    >
    > the date and time installed workshop pro
    >
    > in the file, logs from the install:
    >
    > Cannot access location /usr/local/bin/SUNWspro/license_dir to store
    > product li
    > censes
    > grep: can't open /opt/SUNWspro/license_dir/sunpro.lic,node
    > Cannot access location /usr/local/bin/SUNWspro/license_dir to store
    > product li
    > censes
    > **All Licenses Were Successfully Installed**
    > WS Compiler C++/SPARC 5.0 XX-XXX-XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    > <-cut->

     David Evans                    |
      Any statements or comments are personal and do not represent the views of
                                   Oracle Corporation.