Re: MS signed softwrare privileges

From: Microsoft Product Security Response Team (secureat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 20:27:45 PST

    Hi All -

    We wanted to respond to Juan Cuartango's comments on the purpose of the
    handling of Microsoft certificates in the Active Setup control.  While we
    love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, the reality is
    that the certificates are treated as they are in order to improve our
    customers' experience while downloading software from Microsoft web sites.
    In the past, customers complained about being prompted to "OK" every signed
    control after they went to one of our web sites to load or update software.
    Because of this, the Active Setup control treats the Microsoft certificates
    as "trusted providers".

    We understand that a few customers may find this behavior undesirable, and
    we are concerned by the scenario that Elias pointed out.  Therefore, we will
    be modifying the Active Setup control so that it warns before downloading
    unless a customer has specifically requested that he not be warned in the
    future.  Regards,

    Secureat_private