Re: Toshiba NoteBooks BIOS Password Backdoor - Password Cracker

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 16:38:33 PST

    > If you can boot, it is possible to get a password with the same checksum
    > and enter the Bios. The checksum value is stored in Cmos. If you create a
    > recovery disk, this value is stored after the word "KEY" in the 1 first
    > sector (sector 0 is boot sector).

    Maybe you missed Oscar's point?  His description explains how to
    break *power-on* security on a Tosh notebook.  If you can boot it
    from a floppy, all bets are off...

    It appears Toshiba has been practising "security through obscurity"
    as in the past we were always told that the only way to recover from
    a lost/corrupted power-on password was to send the machine to Toshiba
    (*not* a Toshiba authorized service centre, to a genuine Toshiba
    service centre).  Seems they were not splitting the cases and doing
    some extra magical internal hardware twiddling after all, but simply
    sitting on a stock of "magic disks".

    Of course, if anyone was "depending" on power-on passwords to protect
    their Tosh (or any other) notebook, they were slightly delusional to
    start with, as described in the usual dicta regarding attackers
    having physical access to a machine...

    > To crack Toshiba password (Award, AMI and some others models), you can
    > try CmosPwd (Dos/Win9x, WinNT, Linux versions) avaible at
    > http://www.esiea.fr/public_html/Christophe.GRENIER/

    *If* you have boot access, this is a very handy little util!  (If
    you don't have boot access, a screw-driver and a good memory for
    mainboard layouts and jumper positions helps...)

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.