Re: SSH & xauth

From: Lionel Cons (lionel.consat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 00:33:07 PST

    Robert Watson writes:
     > [...]
     > If you search back a few years in the bugtraq archives, you'll see that
     > one suggestion for dealing with this, and still allowing X11 forwarding
     > from untrusted clients, is to use the Xnest server, limiting access by the
     > ssh client to that DISPLAY. [...]

    This is one possibility but you have to understand how X11 works and
    probably also enable and configure the X11 security extension. You may
    want to have a look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy (or
    similar path).

    Another possibility is to use an X11 connection proxy with filtering
    capabilities like the one I wrote, see:
    	http://home.cern.ch/~cons/mxconns

    With mxconns, you can detect a great number of "hostile" X11 requests
    before they reach your X server. I use it daily to filter what comes
    out of the SSH X11 proxies that I use...

    Lionel Cons        http://home.cern.ch/~cons
    CERN               http://www.cern.ch

    Instruction Booklet Governing Principle:
    	Instruction booklets are lost by the Goods Delivery Service. If not,
    	they are listed in four languages: Japanese, Thai, Swahili and Moghol.