Re: Zonealarm exports sensitive data

From: Robert Graham (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:24:01 PST

    This is a standard problem throughout the industry: how do you provide a
    great user experience without intruding on the user's privacy? We've put a
    lot of time and effort traversing this minefield. We've generally erred on
    the side of privacy -- we know a lot less about our paying customers than
    companies like ZoneAlarm knows about their free customers.

    For example, the button that queries our website for help looks like a
    hyperlink (underlined/blue). I know this is a minor issue, but we wanted to
    make it very clear to customers that clicking on the link takes them to our
    website, with all the privacy concerns that entails.

    The information included is the minimum necessary to create a good user
    experience with the minimum of privacy loss. We do send which port was
    probed, but we do NOT send the IP addresses. Let's say that you've
    configured your webbrowser to go through a proxy server: we will then have
    absolutely zero clue as to who you are or where you came from.

    We will know, however, what intrusion you are looking for help on and a
    couple of pieces of information about it. Note that we are an intrusion
    detection system rather than a firewall, so this is often more than simple
    port information. We do generate reports from this in order to figure out
    what parts of the product need improving. E.g.:
    http://advice.networkice.com/advice/intrusions/common/

    Now, in order to create the best experience for our customers we do indeed
    want more information than this. The product has built into it the ability
    to report to a centralized console. (This is used for centralized mgmt in
    corporate environments). We plan someday to make this available for our home
    customers when we get the privacy issues worked out.

    Robert Graham
    CTO/Network ICE