Re: xterm log file vulnerability

From: Kris Kennaway (krisat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 01:37:18 PST

    On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Morten Welinder wrote:

    > Problem: when log files are enabled, they are created in the
    > following way (checking in XFree86 3.3.6 source; matches Solaris
    > binaries) and are subject to race conditions:

    XFree86 3.3.6 doesn't seem to be vulnerable by default - from
    xc/programs/xterm/misc.c:

    #ifdef ALLOWLOGGING

    /*
     * Logging is a security hole, since it allows a setuid program to write
     * arbitrary data to an arbitrary file.  So it is disabled by default.
     */

    Certainly I couldn't get xterm -l -lf foo to work for me at all.

    Kris

    ----
        -- Charles Forsythe <forsytheat_private>