Re: BID 994,MS00-010 (Site Server Commerce Edition non-validated

From: Steve.Kimbleat_private
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 10:54:07 PST

    Hell's bells! I can't imagine a database designer or coder _not_ performing
    validation as the data is processed into a database, regardless of whether
    this
    has already been done.  Also, the notion of "burying business rules in the
    database" is totally sound, surely.  Have we not (that's the IT industry
    "we"),
    for many years, been attempting to tie our data closer to our business rules
    so that the two become indistinguishable? Stored procedures are just part
    of that. A simple view of the "data and the means to process it" is an
    "object",
    yes? If I could specify one "object" which equates to a complete business,
    I think I'd make a mint and retire...no, on second thoughts, I think I'd
    keep
    the idea very quiet, for similar reasons as the car industry has for not
    abandoning reciprocating engines that run on oil products.

    Regards, Steve.

    (Here please read usual stuff re. my opinions not being those of my
    employers, etc.)