Re: SSH & xauth

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group (Cy.Schubertat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 05:53:55 PST

    In message <20000228150226.A19949at_private>, Brian writes:
    > Ok, just to make sure everyone completely understands my previous post
    > about SSH & xauth.
    [edited out]
    > For absolute security, a client should always give out trust in the
    > smallest portions available.  Trusting X tunneling by default is not a
    > good idea, and should be turned off.  As stated in previous postings,
    > if you must use X, use Xnest.

    Another alternative would be to use xforward or xroute.  Both are
    capable of notifying you of incoming X connections and you can allow or
    deny each one specifically.  The downside however, is that with either
    you need to trust the host that your X server is running on, e.g. xhost
    x_server_machine.  If you're using a desktop system that isn't used by
    anyone else, you should be O.K.

    Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubertat_private
    UNIX Group, ITSD, ISTA
    Province of BC
                        "COBOL IS A WASTE OF CARDS."