Distributing Patches in Email (was: RE: EZ Shopper 3.0 shopping

From: Scott Blake (blakeat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 17:37:19 PST

    As someone who works for a vendor that does distribute product updates
    via email, I feel that I need to respond.  An exception the rule Marc
    mentions should be non-executable, strongly signed updates.  Concerned
    users can easily verify the signature manually (the software does so
    automatically) to be certain of the file's provenance and integrity.
    A key advantage to this approach is that the software can be fully
    up-to-date without admins needing to spare cycles (or can be fully
    manual, user's choice).  Furthermore, there is no need to make any
    adjustments to firewalls -- the inbound mail is routed to your normal
    mail server and the software retrieves it from there.  Oh, the
    software I'm refering to is HackerShield.

    That said, running executables received in email is never a good idea
    (possibly excepting strongly signed files).

    -scott

    Btw, if anyone sees a flaw in our approach, I'd love to hear it.

    ------
    Scott Blake
    BindView's RAZOR Team
    http://razor.bindview.com/