Re: [ Hackerslab bug_paper ] Linux dump buffer overflow

From: Derek Callaway (superat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 12:48:05 PST

    On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Eugene Teo wrote:

    > server running Redhat 6.1 doesn't seem to be vulnerable to this.  Like

    Not true -- RedHat is vulnerable. The example given by KimYongJun shows an
    overflow with only 556 characters. 556 bytes doesn't seem to overflow the
    RedHat version of dump; it only produces a filename too long
    error as you stated. This causes a Segmentation fault on my RedHat 6.1
    machine:

    [super@white super]$ rpm -qf /sbin/dump
    dump-0.4b4-11
    [super@white super]$ /sbin/dump -0 `perl -e 'print "a"x1024;'`
      DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING!
    Segmentation fault

    According to
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.1/i386/dump-0.4b4-11.i386.html,
    dump-0.4b4-11 is the version of dump that is distributed with RedHat 6.1.
    I believe this overflow is rather difficult to exploit, (although, not
    impossible) as a result of a setuid(getuid()) before the offending code
    and the signal handler for SIGSEGV.

    <snip>

    --
    /* Derek Callaway <superat_private> char *sites[]={"http://www.geekwise.com",