MH also vulnerable to remote attack (was Re: nmh security update)

From: Dan Harkless (dan-bugtraqat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 16:37:37 PST

    Ruud de Rooij <ruudat_private> writes:
    > Versions prior to 1.0.3 of the nmh package contained a vulnerability
    > where incoming mail messages with carefully designed MIME headers could
    > cause nmh's mhshow command to execute arbitrary shell code.
    >
    > This bug has been fixed in nmh 1.0.3 and we encourage you to upgrade
    > immediately.  The fixed package is available at
    >
    >   ftp://ftp.mhost.com/pub/nmh/nmh-1.0.3.tar.gz
    >
    > The MD5sum of nmh-1.0.3.tar.gz is 02519bf8f7ff8590ecfbee9f9500ea07.

    Please note that the MIME-handling code with the security hole dates back to
    nmh's ancestor MH, so MH users (at least those using latter-day versions
    with MIME capability) are also strongly encouraged to upgrade to nmh 1.0.3.

    Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
    dan-bugtraqat_private  | do not mention this private email
    SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | address in Usenet posts.  Thank you.