OpenLinux 2.3: rpm_query

From: harikiri (harikiat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 12:32:04 PST

    This was observed on an OpenLinux 2.3 system, after performing a full
    insallation of all packages.

    NOTE: I didn't see anything on this in the Bugtraq archive, so I'm
    assuming it's not a known issue.

    [root@noname /root]# rpm -q -f /home/httpd/cgi-bin/rpm_query
    OpenLinux-2.3-16
    [root@noname /root]#

    Issue

    The rpm_query cgi allows any individual who can connect to the web server
    to obtain a listing of all rpm's installed on the system.

    Impact

    Attackers may use this information to identify what vulnerable software
    packages have been installed.

    Recommendation

    If this cgi is not required:

    	# chmod 0 /home/httpd/cgi-bin/rpm_query

    If it is required, use Apache's access control features to restrict who
    may use it.

    harikiri

    --
    "Unless you enter the tiger's lair, you cannot get hold of the tiger's cubs."