Problem with MacOS 9 Multiple Users and Netware AFP

From: Don Lambert (dlambertat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 14:08:02 PST

    Hi all,

    I ran into a problem with MacOS 9's Multiple Users feature
    and Netware AFP.
    MacOS 9 tries to create a Users folder at the root level
    every mounted
    volume. The behavior occurs on locally mounted volumes
    (including SCSI, IDE,
    and floppies). It also occurs on volumes accessed by
    AppleShare. The Users
    folder seems to be loosely analogous to the %System
    Root%\Profiles\
    directories that get created in Windows NT. Unfortunately, I
    wasn't able to
    find much info on the purpose and functionality of the Users
    folder at
    Apple's site. In the case of MacOS 9 creating the folder on
    Netware AFP
    servers, the resulting Users folder gives excessive rights
    (RWCEMF) to
    [Root]. The problem occurs on servers running AFP when users
    connect via
    AppleShare in the Chooser. It does not occur when logging in
    using the
    Prosoft Client for MacOS. I was able to duplicate the
    problem on both a
    Netware 4.11 server and a Netware 5 server. My testing steps
    are below. At
    the end of the message I present a workaround:

    Test 1 [Netware 4.11, AFP 4.10, MacOS 9, bindery connection
    through Chooser]
    :

    This test involves AFP 4.10 NLM running on a Netware 4.11
    server (SRVR1).
    The client side is MacOS 9 running in Multiple Users mode.

    Created user - chooseruser in the same container as the
    server. Give
    chooseruser read, create, and filescan to the root of
    SRVR1_DATA1 volume. On
    the MacOS 9 Mac, log into SRVR1 as chooseruser via a bindery
    connection
    through Chooser (no NDS client involved) and mount DATA1. A
    Users folder is
    created at root of DATA1. Checking in NWADMN32, I see that
    chooseruser is
    the Owner of this. No other trustees are listed for the
    Users folder.

    Now I Log out chooseruser from SRVR1 on the Mac. I give
    chooseruser read,
    create, filescan, and access control to the root of
    SRVR1_DATA1 volume. On
    the MacOS 9 Mac, log into SRVR1 as chooseruser via a bindery
    connection
    through Chooser (no NDS client involved) and mount DATA1. A
    Users folder is
    created at root of DATA1. This time when checking in
    NWADMN32, I see that
    [Supervisor] is the Owner. When I check the Trustees, I see
    that [Root] is a
    trustee with Read, Write, Create, Erase, Modify, and File
    Scan. I see that
    [Supervisor] is a trustee with Read, Write, Create, Erase,
    Modify, File
    Scan, and Access Control.

    Now, I log out chooseruser and give the account RWCEMFA
    access to the root
    of the DATA1 volume. I log in as chooseruser again through
    the Chooser and
    mount DATA1. When I look at the existing Users folder, I
    would expect that I
    should be able to copy a file to it. The MacOS says I only
    have See Folders
    and See Files privileges (i.e. read & file scan). It appears
    that the MacOS
    is putting limits on my access to the Users folder over and
    above what NDS
    is doing. When I log into MacOS 9 with a Mac Owner Account
    (that's an
    account run by MacOS 9 Multiple Users), and then log into
    SRVR1 as
    chooseruser, I can mount DATA1  and have my normal NDS
    granted access to the
    Users folder. I also get the regular access Users folder if
    I turn off the
    Multiple Users functionality and mount the DATA1 volume.

    Test 2 [Netware 5, AFP 4.53, MacOS 9, bindery connection
    through Chooser]

    Test 2 is pretty much the same test as Test 1, but instead
    of using Netware
    4.11 and AFP 4.10, I used Netware 5 and Prosoft's AFP 4.53
    on the server
    end. The server is SRVR2. The results are same as in Test 1.
    The testing
    steps are below.

    Give chooseruser read, create, and filescan to the root of
    SRVR2_DATA2
    volume. On the MacOS 9 Mac, log into SRVR2 as chooseruser
    via a bindery
    connection through Chooser (no NDS client involved) and
    mount DATA2. A Users
    folder is created at root of DATA2. Checking in NWADMN32, I
    see that
    chooseruser is the Owner of this. No other trustees are
    listed for the Users
    folder.

    Now I log out chooseruser from SRVR2 on the Mac. I give
    chooseruser read,
    create, filescan, and access control to the root of
    SRVR2_DATA2  volume. On
    the MacOS 9 Mac, log into SRVR2 as chooseruser via a bindery
    connection
    through Chooser (no NDS client involved) and mount DATA2. A
    Users folder is
    created at root of DATA2. This time when checking in
    NWADMN32, I see that
    [Supervisor] is the Owner. When I check the Trustees, I see
    that [Root] is a
    trustee with Read, Write, Create, Erase, Modify, and File
    Scan. I see that
    [Supervisor] is a trustee with Read, Write, Create, Erase,
    Modify, File
    Scan, and Access Control.

    Test 3 [Netware 4.11, MacOS 9, Netware Client for MacOS
    5.12, NDS Connection
    using NW Client]:

    This test uses SRVR1, a Netware 4.11 server again. It also
    uses MacOS 9 with
    multiple users and Prosoft's Netware Client for MacOS 5.12.

    Next, I tried the same tests as above, but I used a user
    called prosoftuser
    in the same container as SRVR1. I deleted the Users folder
    from the above
    tests off of DATA1. I used the Prosoft NDS Client for MacOS
    5.12. I logged
    into NDS as prosoftuser. Next, I used the Prosoft Netware
    volume mounter in
    the Chooser to browse through NDS to the SRVR1's container
    and mount the
    SRVR1_DATA1 volume via IPX. Even when prosoftuser has
    RWCEMFA rights to
    DATA1, no Users folder is created by MacOS 9. However, as
    soon as I use
    prosoftuser to do a bindery connection using AppleShare in
    the Chooser, a
    Users folder gets created with the Owner being [Supervisor]
    just as in the
    previous tests.

    Test 4 [Netware 4.11, MacOS 9, Netware Client for MacOS
    5.12, bindery
    connection using NW Client]:

    This test uses SRVR1, a Netware 4.11 server again. It also
    uses MacOS 9 with
    multiple users and Prosoft's Netware Client for MacOS 5.12.

    For this test, I first made sure that there wasn't a
    previous Users folder
    on the server from previous testing. I logged prosoftuser
    into NDS using the
    Netware Client for MacOS 5.12. Next, I used the Netware
    volume mounter in
    the Chooser to mount DATA1 on SRVR1 using a bindery
    connection. In this
    case, the Users folder did not get created by MacOS 9
    despite prosoftuser
    having RWCEMFA rights to DATA1.

    Workarounds:

    The Users folder will not get created if a Users folder
    already exists at
    the root the volume. Also, [Root] does not get added as a
    trustee to a
    pre-existing Users folder. Thus the only step you need to
    take to stop the
    MacOS 9 issue from affecting your server is create a folder
    called Users at
    the root of every volume that is accessible via AFP.

    I did not find any info about this problem at Apple's,
    Novell's or Prosoft's
    sites. If anyone has any insight on to why MacOS 9 needs to
    create a User
    folder on every volume, please let me know. Also, any ideas
    on why Netware
    gives [Root] access to the Users folder that gets created?

    Terry Miller
    Computer Aided Engineering Network
    University of Michigan

    Don Lambert