Re: OfficeScan; additional observation

From: Dan Schrader (Dan_Schraderat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 10:36:54 PST

    You are right, you should not run multiple antivirus products
    simultaniously.  The reason is that real-time virus scanning occurs at a
    very fundimental level of the operating system - running as a Vxd or kernal
    mode device driver and grabbing every file access to scan for viruses.
    Running 2 av products will lead to performance degradation and possible
    instability.

    This setting and feature of OfficeScan was requested by quite a number of
    our customers.  Till recently, many organizations did not try to centrally
    manage desktop virus protection.  Once they did, they found that
    uninstalling existing products was quite difficult - for example, one
    leading vendor's products had no uninstall routine, another's left files and
    registry settings on the system.  In fact, to some users, the cost and
    complexity of uninstalling existing product was a major barrier to
    standardizing on a new product.

    OfficeScan is a product designed to be used in environments where a decision
    has been made to have one standard, centrally managed antivirus solution.
    Among OfficeScan customers, the choice, configuration and maintenance of
    antivirus products typically has not been left up to end users - hense no
    end user prompt.

    Trend is aware of the the security issues that have been raised on this
    forum.  We are working on a new build that will address them.  Because
    OfficeScan runs in heterogenious environments, there is quite a bit of
    testing to be done before we can release the new build.  I will post when
    the new solution is available.

    Dan Schrader
    Trend Micro