Realplayer update

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 13:29:56 PST

    I have received several responses regarding the RealPlayer/Comet Cursor subject.

    To summarize a few things:

    I originally said that the remaining registry key was
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Comet", it is actually
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Comet".  My faux paus.

    A person who responded to me said that there was a .class file put in the Netscape
    plugins directory as well, I cannot confirm this.  He also said that there is a program
    in the c:\windows directory called "cuninst.exe" which un-installs Comet Cursor.  I
    did not confirm this, however I presume that it's the program that "Add/Remove" calls
    in the software package manager.

    Some have asked "How do I delete it without breaking RealPlayer?", here's the answer:

    Go into "Add/Remove programs" in the Control Panel, select "Comet Cursor" from the
    list, and click "Add/Remove".

    It goes very quickly, almost like it doesn't do anything.

    Now reboot to get IE (since it's integrated into the file manager) to unload the comet.dll.

    After reboot delete c:\windows\system\comet.dll.

    Now run 'regedit' from the "Run Program" option on the start bar.

    In regedit navigate the tree to the location listed above (HKEY...).

    Right click the "Comet" key in the tree list and select "Delete".

    Your system is now Dis-infected.  You may want to double check the above files
    that the gentleman mentioned.

    I installed RealPlayer full.  This comes with Jukebox and support for all media
    formats that RealPlayer supports.  Other people have pointed out that "Comet Cursor"
    is a bullet point on the comparison chart for various versions.  The RealPlayer Basic
    does not come with Comet Cursor.  Another person pointed out that the foreign
    language versions do not have this chart or other commentary that warns you of
    the installation of Comet Cursor.

    When I installed, I clicked "cancel" during the jukebox install, because I didn't want
    it.  This means that Comet is installed with RealPlayer and not jukebox.

    I still don't like the fact that the setup program doesn't tell you anywhere that
    it's installing Comet Cursor (not even the license agreement, which lists almost
    every DLL RealPlayer ships with).

    I hope this answers some questions.

    I apologize for not directly attributing the info I have excerpted, my mail reader isn't
    that sophisticated.

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington                 Director of                   zelur xuniL  ()
    perryat_private             System Architecture               Think Blue.  /\