Re: ActiveSync can access a locked workstation w/o unlocking

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 13:36:44 PDT

    Hi Jeff,

    We've checked our records, but are unable to find any record of a
    mail from you to the Security Response Center.  If you did indeed
    send to secureat_private, could you send us a copy of the mail to
    assist us in troubleshooting?

    In regards to the behavior you described, there are three points that
    are particularly important to keep in mind:

    1. The desktop will only synchronize with a Pocket PC if a
    partnership has previously been created, and a partnership can only
    be created from the desktop side -- one can't be created by a Pocket
    PC.

    2. If a PIN has been selected for the Pocket PC, an attacker would be
    unable to obtain any information from the device, regardless of
    whether it had been synchronized.

    3. Even if an attacker obtained a Pocket PC for which a partnership
    already had been created, and knew the PIN for the device, he or she
    could only use it to obtain information from the desktop if
    ActiveSync had been configured to automatically synchronize anytime a
    device is connected.

    We'd like to make sure we've investigated the report fully.  If you
    have seen cases outside of the above parameters, please let us know
    immediately and we'll begin an investigation.

    Best regards,
    Alex Uy
    Security Program Manager
    Microsoft Security Response Center