Re: multiple vulnerabilities in Alcatel Speed Touch DSL modems

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 14:16:52 PDT

        Mark> Weren't these issues actually discovered by Renaud Deraison in November 2000?
        Mark> He added code to his Nessus program to check for the problems and didn't
        Mark> consider it worth an advisory since the exploit depended on the IP 10.0.0.138
        Mark> being spoofable, possible on some ISPs who do VPNs that way but generally
        Mark> a lower risk than the full internet range.

    He found the null default password, see below.

        Mark> You'd think the normal process of informing the manufacturer to provide a
        Mark> window to have a patch available would be followed. Instead a few people
        Mark> were told, then the press and then CERT, sounds more like a PR stunt to me.

    The manufacturer was notified before the French press got hold of the
    story, from the French computer underground, while we were writing the
    advisory, after I had sent a note to Alcatel.

        Mark> The value add tools are useful but the manuafacturer could have offered a
        Mark> better fix than binary patching etc. Sounds like too much time was spent on a
        Mark> nowhere issue.

    Read the redacted text in the Alcatel media release for fun :-)

    http://morons.org/articles/1/188

    (Thanks to Jericho for pointing this out to me.)

        Mark> Mark.
        Mark> All your japboy are belong to us.

    Aside from the personal attacks, perhaps you should check the facts. I
    did.

    The nearly-identical post (yours?) on slashdot
    (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=01/04/11/1249209&cid=69) posted
    at Wednesday April 11, @09:20AM EST was almost immediately refuted by
    Renaud Deraison himself:
    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=01/04/11/1249209&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&pid=110#111
    posted at Wednesday April 11, @10:40AM EST

    I verified this information with Renaud, receiving a reply to my
    message at Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:04:07 +0200.  He said he posted the
    note on Slashdot, but said it was moderated too low for people to
    easily see.

    It seems a little strange to be posting this rumor, 4 days after it
    was proven false, but I see no reason to question your motives.

    --tep

    p.s.  I *still* *like* the Alcatel Speed Touch Home.  It is still
    connecting my home network, despite being offered other devices since
    the advisory went out.

    They just need to fix a few problems.  Just like *every* other vendor.