Re: Double clicking on innocent looking files may be dangerous

From: Riddoch, John ESSI-ISEP-3 (John.E.Riddochat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 02:31:15 PDT

    >   I shall skip the oft-mentioned rant on the subject
    > of running
    > unknown and unexpected files of strange types from unknown
    > and untrusted
    > sources ;-)

    I think the issue here is that even when the sensible user has disabled
    "hide extensions" he should be safe to assume that a .txt file is only text
    and is, therefore, safe to open.  In short, it doesn't appear to be a file
    of "strange type".

    The fact that the description shows "HTML application" is only relevant
    where the user is browsing using "View/Details"; using small or large icons
    will only show a .txt file, although the icon may be a giveaway that
    something is up.

    FWIW, it shows the same behaviour here on an NT 4.0 SP5 machine.