Advisory for Viking

From: neme-dhcat_private
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 07:45:02 PDT

     [ Advisory for Viking                             ]
     [ Viking is made by Robtex.                       ]
     [ Site: http://www.robtex.com/viking              ]
     [ by nemesystm of the DHC                         ]
     [ (http://dhcorp.cjb.net - neme-dhcat_private) ]
     [ ADV-0107                                        ]

    /-|=[explanation]=|-\
    Viking is a webserver. It has a simple hex encoded
    dot dot bug.

    /-|=[who is vulnerable]=|-\
    Tested to be vulnerable:
    Viking 1.04
    Viking 1.06
    Viking 1.07
    I assume earlier versions to be vulnerable as well.

    /-|=[testing it]=|-\
    To test this vulnerability, try the following.
    www.server.com/%2e%2e/%2e%2e/scandisk.log
    this works if Viking has been installed in the
    proposed directory and scandisk.log exists. Add
    %2e%2e/ to adjust the amount of directories to go
    down, change scandisk.log to reflect the file you
    want.

    /-|=[notes]=|-\
    In the SMTP server VRFY and EXPN are enabled by
    default and I was unable to turn these commands off.
    They could be used by spammers to verify accounts.
    This was verified for Viking 1.07

    /-|=[plug]=|-\
    A temporary fix was made available in 15 minutes
    after e-mailing. The quick and friendly response
    was just outstanding.

    It is best to download the latest version at
    www.robtex.com. A other possibility is to add the
    following line to httpd.cnf
    Wild http:*%2e* x-viking:/na
    I would suggest upgrading, but if that is
    impossible, the above fix will properly prevent
    this problem to be exploited on a server.
    Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com