Re: OpenBSD 2.8 ftpd/glob exploit (breaks chroot)

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 20:22:38 PDT

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

    > For the record, I blocked this way of breaking out of chroot in NetBSD
    > in 1999; the fix is present in NetBSD 1.4 and later releases.  I'm
    > surprised that this hasn't been picked up by more distributions.

    That would not decrease possible damage caused by this kind of remote root
    vulnerability in typical system, where it is possible to attach to
    processes running outside chroot via ptrace and execute mailicious code in
    non-chrooted environment, as well as do other tricks - module loading,
    creating / acessing special devices, etc. Security improvement would be
    visible only on systems where all other possibly dangerous operations are
    not available to superuser (rare configuration). But, in genral, this is a
    tricky business, and having chrooted attacker with superuser privledges on
    your system should make you feel safe, anyway.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] | [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.na.export.pl] <=--=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =--=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=--=