Re: Double clicking on innocent looking files may be dangerous

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 10:11:20 PDT

    Gary Flynn wrote:

    > One more thing. Anyone try this on an mp3 file and see how Napster et al
    > handles it? That could be really, really ugly. I thought about that in the
    > shower this morning and have been dealing with other stuff so haven't had
    > a chance to check it yet.

    I dumped a file.mp3."CLSID" file into the local Napster library directory
    and the 2.0 Beta 7 Napster client didn't display it at all. Maybe for
    the same reason the file doesn't show up in the file/open dialog box
    or maybe because the client actually does some checking on its own.
    I don't know.

    I would imagine peer sharing clients that handle other file types
    might react differently.

    --
    Gary Flynn
    Security Engineer - Technical Services