Re: XML scripting in IE, Outlook Express

From: Georgi Guninski (guninskiat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 07:08:26 PDT

    Toni Lassila wrote:

> [...]

    I continue to believe all versions of IE 5.x are vulnerable.
    A lot of people have missed the point of my advisory.
    On 20 April 2001 Microsoft released Ver. 2.0 of their security bulletin
    which seems to fix
    a bug but not this issue.

    To check whethere you are vulnerable to this issue:
    1. Disable Active Scripting for the Internet Zone (in case
    www.guninski.com is in
    the Internet Zone for you).
    2. Go to http://www.guninski.com/xstyle.eml or to
    http://www.guninski.com/xstyle.xml
    3. If you see a message box "This is VBscript"  then you are vulnerable
    because this
    message is produced by active scripting which is disabled in (1).
    4. Worse, this works from email at least in Outlook Express.

    Georgi Guninski