Re: SECURITY.NNOV: The Bat! <cr> bug

From: Rich Lafferty (richat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 10:01:34 PDT

    On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:42:34PM +1300, Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk) wrote:
    > hurtta+z3at_private wrote:
    > >
    > > Well,
    > >
    > > Actually message standards (or RFC 822 actually) doe snot requile that blank line,
    > > if message do not have body.
    > >
    > > Note that grammar is:
    > >
    > >      message     =  fields *( CRLF *text )       ; Everything after
    > >                                                  ;  first null line
    > >                                                  ;  is message body
    > > Therefore
    > >
    > >     message     =  fields
    > >
    > > is also valid (ie, without that CRLF.)
    >
    > So it is.
    >
    > On re-reading RFC822 I guess I've always (incorrectly) based my
    > interpretation on the textual description, for example:

    [snip excerpt]

    > Yes -- a pity the drafters of those RFCs wrote them so ambiguously
    > and I've always preferred words to formulae (diagrams are good
    > though...).

    Yeah, someone should get around to writing replacements.

     ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
     ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2822.txt

    :-)

    (I don't use The Bat, and I haven't been following this thread
    closely, so I don't know if the updated RFCs actually clarify the
    issue at hand, but they do clarify a lot of stuff that 821 and 822
    were a little liberal on.)

      -Rich

     Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services