Re: IRIX /usr/lib/print/netprint local root symbols exploit.

From: Dale Southard (southard1at_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 15:47:27 PDT

    No news here.

    The author's site indicates that he found the bug under IRIX 6.2.
    That release of IRIX is around 5 years old.  SGI released a Security
    Advisory on the netprint issue in December of 1996 which included
    information on a patch which fixes it.  See SGI's security site at:

      http://www.sgi.com/support/security/index.html

    I tested the exploit against a current IRIX release (6.5.11) and found
    it not to be vulnerable.

    Rule of thumb: If your sysadmin hasn't done an OS upgrade or applied
    patches in over four years, there are likely to be some significant
    security issues.

    --

    /*  Dale Southard Jr.       southard1at_private        925-422-1463  */
    /*  Computer Scientist, Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative  */