Re: IRIX /usr/lib/print/netprint local root symbols exploit.

From: Dale Southard (southard1at_private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:38:49 PDT

    Atro Tossavainen <atossavaat_private> writes:

    > > I tested the exploit against a current IRIX release (6.5.11) and found
    > > it not to be vulnerable.
    >
    > How exactly did you find 6.5.11 not to be vulnerable?
    >
    > I tried the sploit on 6.5.10 and didn't get root. It complained about
    > the lack of the ListAllPrinters symbol.
    >
    > Add the symbol in the sploit code, recompile, try again. 6.5.10 is
    > vulnerable, is 6.5.11?

    I'd be interested in seeing what symbol you added:  here's a test on
    6.5.5:

      mybox 27% uname -R
      6.5 6.5.5m
      mybox 28% id
      uid=45731(dsouth) gid=40
      mybox 29% ./xnetprint /bin/sh
      [(IRIX)netprint[] local root exploit, by: v9[v9at_private]. ]
      [*] making symbols source file for netprint to execute.
      [*] done, now compiling symbols source file.
      [*] done, now checking to see if the symbols source compiled.
      [*] done, now executing netprint.
      netprint: this command for use only by LP Administrators
      mybox 30% id
      uid=45731(dsouth) gid=40

    If I run the above as root, I do get the complaint about a missing
    ListAllPrinters symbol, but requiring root seems a bit
    counter-productive for a sploit.    ;-)

    --

    /*  Dale Southard Jr.       southard1at_private        925-422-1463  */
    /*  Computer Scientist, Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative  */