Re: Tektronix (Xerox) PhaserLink 850 Webserver Vulnerability (NEW)

From: Ltlw0lf (ltlw0lfat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 07:12:06 PDT

    Thanks, Francis...  Looks like 750DP and 930 printers should be added to the
    list of printers that exibit this vuln.

    Unfortunately, your fix doesn't always work with printers.  We've noticed on
    most printers, a blank gateway means "find out the gateway yourself."  Most
    printers will utilize RIP, or worse, will just choose a gateway (i.e.
    10.0.0.1 for network 10.0.0.0) of its own.  We've seen tektronix printers do
    this as well as hp printers.  We've suggested setting the default gateway
    as the IP address of the printer, and this usually limits the vulnerability,
    but not always.  Best is to put it behind the corporate firewall or restrict
    it in other ways.

    <snip>