Re: Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 Remote buffer overflow vulnerability (Remote SYSTEM Level Access)

From: Lincoln Yeoh (lyeohat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 18:57:42 PDT

    At 01:15 PM 01-05-2001 -0700, Marc Maiffret wrote:
    >The Fallout:
    >As with our first remote SYSTEM level exploit for IIS 4.0 2 years ago, the
    >fallout from this second IIS remote overflow is also rather large. Once
    >again it does not matter what kind of security systems you have in place,
    >Firewalls, IDS's, etc.. because all of those systems can be bypassed and
    >your web server CAN be broken into via this vulnerability. To quote our last

    Actually these attacks (and others) may not work if you have a web proxy
    that allows clients to only access urls that appear in the protected
    website's content plus defined entry point urls. The good old "default
    deny" concept.

    You only can ask for what the protected server says there is, or is ok.

    I'm glossing over the details of course, but basically the proxy looks at
    the protected webserver's content it is serving up, and only that which is
    explicitly specified by the content is allowed. For example fields in forms
    are limited to that specified by their SIZE parameter, and unspecified
    parameters never get passed to the target url.

    With statefulness active it's impossible for people to use legit bookmarks
    to jump arbitrarily anywhere on a protected site. No deep linking unless
    specifically allowed ;).

    This method also works for ftp ( amongst other things), but it's a pain for
    people to have to do cd, dir, cd, dir before downloading ;) (so turn off
    statefulness!).

    A significant amount of performance would be lost, but this could be offset
    somewhat by caching results where possible, and using the proxy on sites
    where security is more important than performance. This is where the
    gigahertz cpus on DDR RAM come in I guess :).

    Cheerio,
    Link.