Re: Announcing ptyfix

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-STUTTGART.DE)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 01:43:47 PDT

    Paul Szabo <pszat_private> writes:

    > The privileged (setuid root) command ptyfix is used from within executables
    > that use the openpty() call. An example is xterm: with this helper, xterm
    > itself does not need to be setuid.

    The correct fix is to implement SysV-style PTYs.  I think they are
    required by SuSv2 as well.  Only some BSD systems do not provide this
    kind of PTYs, almost all other flavors do.

    > Currently ptyfix works only on Compaq Tru64 UNIX (DEC OSF/1) machines.

    The helper application is not required, you should open /dev/ptmx or
    /dev/ptmx_bsd and use grantpt() and unlockpt().  (The True64 5.1
    manpage suggests that openpty() already uses SysV PTYs, but that's not
    mentioned in earlier versions, such as DIGITAL UNIX 4.0D.)

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/