Re: Permanently remove iis printer mapping

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 20:04:43 PDT

    Turn off the spooler service, then remove the mapping. I have long
    recommended turning off things you don't need on web servers. Almost any
    internet-exposed web server doesn't need to be printing to or from just
    about anything.

    The functionality is put there so that you can manage your printer from a
    browser - if you're really doing that, the only option is to apply the
    patch.

    BTW, when I tested this on my system at work, I removed the mapping, did not
    disable spooler, rebooted and the mapping did not come back. I'm not sure
    why this is. I know others had the same experience as the poster, so this
    work-around does work.