Re: Cisco HSRP Weakness/DoS

From: bashis (bashat_private)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 09:12:16 PDT

    Hi

    > b) what worries me about this method is that it is close to ideal for
    >   a man in the middle attack (take over default gw, rewrite source
    >   address to my own address, rewrite anything else in the packet, send
    >   to the real router).

    It's realy old news, this was allready known in '98 when they written
    RFC 2281 ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2281.html )
    but nobody have talked about it in public,
    except Cisco who is saying how good it is, to get a fault tolerant network..

    Well, i'm not suprised that there are lots of ppl who dont know this,
    so thats why i posted it to bugtraq, to make ppl aware of it..

    Regards,
    bashis

    --
    \0x62\0x61\0x73\0x68\0x69\0x73