Re: Fun with IP Identification Field Values (Identifying Older MS Based OSs)

From: marvinat_private
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 00:46:59 PDT

    On Sun, 06 May 2001, Ofir Arkin wrote:
    > The first ICMP Echo request sent from the Microsoft NT 4 based machine was
    > sent with IP ID of 28416. The second ICMP Echo request was sent with IP ID
    > value of 28672. Simple calculation will show a gap of 256 between the IP ID
    > field values.

    And some simple thinking will show that this is because they send out a
    little endian value that is incremented.

    > Looking at the replies the LINUX based machine produced, we see a gap of 1
    > between one IP ID to the next.

    And OpenBSD is random.
    So is Linux if you use my patch (shameless plug) at http://synscan.nss.nu
    (for 2.2.16 but should patch against 2.2.18, probably).

    Predictable IP.ids are used in ipidscan (mine) and idlescan (someone elses),
    both released in Dec 2000. ipidscan has a flag (-e) for using against windows.

    Check out posts from antirez in Dec 1998 and posts on this topic in Dec 1999.