Re: Windows 2000 .printer remote overflow proof of concept exploit....

From: Shawn Kleinart (securityat_private)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 18:37:29 PDT

    This is mostly an FYI for everyone on this list, as I assume everyone
    reading emails on this list has already patched themselves if they were
    vulnerable - running ISS 5. While this issue had been made very well known
    to those who actually admin servers / networks, there are still those who
    call themselves "admins" but who:

    1) Don't follow security issues and have do idea about this.
    2) Are to dumb to not, er too lazy, to apply the patch / secure the machine.
    3) Are more worried about their uptime than they are with security.
    4) Don't care.
    5) ?

    While we all know this exploit is being used 'in the wild,' I can confirm
    that it's been used many times to gain access to the vulnerable machines. I
    work for an ISP in the Internet Security Department and I've seen many cases
    of people getting hacked via this vulnerability. Mostly this seems to be
    part of the "Chinese web defacement coalition" against the US. The sites say
    something like 'F* the US Government'

    See below for my thoughts...

    Overall, I hope so. But, it's still sad that it takes massive press for
    people to properly admin their machines. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said
    on this list, but as the somewhat recent FBI press release stated, there are
    still many servers that have 2 year old vulnerabilities. That is just plain
    unacceptable.

    It's really not that hard to apply patches, any idiot can do it. Sure, it
    takes a more competent person to setup a server properly and make sure the
    config is sound, from a security standpoint and to make sure they have the
    correct user permissions in place and appropriate security precautions, etc.
    But, to simply apply a patch, I bet a monkey can even do that!

    > In security consulting it is hard to make a sell to prevent intrusions but
    > once someone is hacked they will pay just about any price to get
    > secured.  I
    > say give out the exploit and force admins to be held accountable for their
    > networks. Even if they have to get hacked a few times to learn
    > their lesson.

    I can attest to that. This is so true, unfortunately. I think those that
    have a (well-known) vulnerability that has had a publicly known fix/patch
    available for over 3 months (personally I think over 72 hours) and have not
    resolved the issue... they DESERVE to be hacked. And, I am actually happy
    when they loose LOTS of money because of it. 'These people' are the ones
    that are the problem.

    My favorite saying, which likely isn't new to anyone here... and it has a
    few variations, is:
    "While you need a license to drive your car on the highway, you don't need a
    license to have a machine on the information super-highway."
    ... it's so true that any 'Johnny B Hacked' can put up a server on the
    Internet. The only 'accountability' for that is their ISP... what they
    choose to do once they become aware of it.

    It's out there. I've seen logs indicating the attacker put a "root.exe" file
    on the IIS5 host and then were able to issue a command to run this file via
    the overflow. I don't have any more specific information on the contents of
    the root.exe file or the exact script used, etc. at this time.