Re: RH7.0: man local gid 15 (man) exploit

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 03:40:59 PDT

    On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 08:07:34PM -0000, zenith parsec wrote:
    > Vulnerable systems: redhat 7.0 with man-1.5h1-10 (default
    > package) and earlier.
    > Heap Based Overflow of man via -S option gives GID man.

    Caldera OpenLinux is not vulnerable to this problem. Our man-1.5 package
    comes with a patch that forks off a "cache manager" thread that puts
    formatted pages into /var/catman, while the man application itself
    continues in the foreground without any privilege.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax