Re: RH7.0: man local gid 15 (man) exploit

From: Colin Watson (cjwatsonat_private)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 12:16:14 PDT

    In article <20010513200734.9834.qmailat_private>,
    zenith_parsec@the-astronaut.com wrote:
    >Vulnerable systems: redhat 7.0 with man-1.5h1-10 (default
    >package) and earlier.
    >Heap Based Overflow of man via -S option gives GID man.
    >
    >Due to a slight error in a length check, the -S option to
    >man can cause a buffer overflow on the heap, allowing redirection of
    >execution into user supplied code.
    >
    >man -S `perl -e 'print ":" x 100'`
    >
    >Will cause a seg fault if you are vulnerable.

    With the name of a man page as an additional argument, the version of
    man-db shipped with Debian GNU/Linux also segfaults here. I just
    uploaded version 2.3.18-2 to Debian unstable which fixes this.

    However, I believe that the code bases are different enough that a
    segfault is as bad as it gets in man-db (the functions in question are
    entirely different, and just happen to have the same failure case). Feel
    free to prove me wrong.

    Cheers,

    --
    Colin Watson                                     [cjw44at_private]