Re: Solaris /usr/bin/mailx exploit (SPARC)

From: Tobias J. Kreidl (Tobias.Kreidlat_private)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 14:47:02 PDT

    Andrew Hilborne <andrew.hilborneat_private> wrote on
    Tue, 15 May 2001 14:15:45 +0100:

    > Just how do you force 0600 on mailboxes which don't exist (many MUAs
    > remove empty mailboxes?)
    >
    > Since you cannot easily do this, at the very least a malicious user
    > should be able to steal other users' mail. I think.

    1) The permissions 1777 on /var/mail should allow empty mailboxes to
    remain under most circumstances.  One should be careful what
    IMAP and POP services are running on your machine and how
    they handle this.

    2) When a new user account is first established, it is imperative that
    a mailbox be created at that time with the proper ownerships and file
    permissions.

    3) A cron job can help monitor any discrepancies between existing and
    desired file attributes of mailboxes in /var/mail and rectify them on
    the fly.

    Tobias Kreidl
    NAU/Information Technology Services