MS01-026 - proof of concept - Followup

From: Filip Maertens (filipat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 00:57:19 PDT

    A few remarks,

    The following topics tackles some comments being made through private
    e-mail.  Just clarification.

    NOT UNICODE - This is not 100% unicode we are talking about.  This is
    the vulnerability as discovered by NSFOCUS Security
    Advisory(SA2001-02).  This has been documented by Microsoft as being
    MS01-026 or to be found at the CERT ( CERTŪ Advisory CA-2001-12 ).
    Please read the history in the advisory to get a full update on the
    whereabouts of this vulnerability.  This five-minute code snippet is
    meant to provide an easy to use testing interface for your IIS
    webservers.  Nothing more, nothing less.

    CRIPPLED : Seems I've been sending the backup-code I had on my Windows
    machine instead of the working one on my OpenBSD testing machine.  It
    will spit out with an error code, everyone with even pre-basic C
    knowledge will know how to solve this, however, simply put brackets on
    the if instruction like this:

      if ( ( strstr(recvbuffer,"404") == NULL ) ) {
             while(recv(create_socket, recvbuffer, 1, 0) > 0)
                    {
                      printf("%c", recvbuffer[0]);
                     }
       }else {
         printf(" -- Wrong command processing. \n");
       }

    PROOF OF CONCEPT - Tool or weapon?  I guess everyone gets these
    discussions now and then, and I don't even want to go that way.  The
    advisory is very clear, the patch is there...  I do not see any harm in
    having a quick'n'dirty interface for this vulnerability on this
    advisory.  Mind you, anyone with a netcat can pull off the exact same
    thing.  Hence the fact it's even a waste of time wasting C on this one,
    but it just happened I had to write this one for testing purposes on our
    own IIS testing machines, and I didn't felt like opening a netcat
    connection and manually typing the GET request.  There is no logic, I
    know... :-)

    Cheers,
    </filip>