Re: in.fingerd follows sym-links on Solaris 8

From: Matthew R. Potter (mpotterat_private)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 10:47:18 PDT

    > I believe it could be dangeours in some cases, but people from
    > Sun says that they won't repair the in.fingerd because:

    Well finger is enabled by default and it runs as nobody... so you can't
    link to /etc/shadow...

    finger  stream  tcp6    nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/in.fingerd    in.fingerd

    I think finger even still bounces.. @host@host...

    > "There are may be legitimate reasons for finger to follow symlinks. If
    > finger is considered a security issue, it can be disabled. (..)"

    I think it's an issue of, what is the point of fixing it?

    > What do you think ?

    I won't sleep at night over this one.

    Matt