Re: in.fingerd follows sym-links on Solaris 8

From: Lukasz Luzar (lluzarat_private)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 00:19:59 PDT

    Hello,

     Ok, the example wasn't good.
     It was a long day for me, thus, please forgive me that slip-up.

     The sym-links attack is very useful when you want to read
     files that are readable only by unprivileged user.

     On example, many httpd servers works with the same privilages,
     it means that you can read any CGI temporary file, and other
     files readable only by CGI scripts.

     I think about a case where a CGI script saves some important
     information in a temporary file, like PHP do with the sessions:

      -rw------- 1 nobody nobody    329 May 14 12:16  /tmp/sess_0cd156a633

     When you have installed in.fingerd, and the in.fingerd is vulnerable,
     all local users are able to read the information from the files.

     There are few other examples.

    --
    Lukasz Luzar
    http://Developers.of.PL/