Re: in.fingerd follows sym-links on Solaris 8

From: Darren Moffat (Darren.Moffatat_private)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 12:54:33 PDT

    > Ok, the example wasn't good.
    > It was a long day for me, thus, please forgive me that slip-up.

    This is certainly a much better example, but:

    > On example, many httpd servers works with the same privilages,
    > it means that you can read any CGI temporary file, and other
    > files readable only by CGI scripts.

    httpd servers shouldn't be running as user nobody they should be
    running as user www or something similar.

    > I think about a case where a CGI script saves some important
    > information in a temporary file, like PHP do with the sessions:
    >
    >  -rw------- 1 nobody nobody    329 May 14 12:16  /tmp/sess_0cd156a633

    The bug is in one of PHP/CGI/httpd NOT in in.fingerd.

    nobody has a very special meaning, it is the user id that root gets mapped
    to over NFS.  It was created for that reason and that reason alone, it
    is NOT a general purpose account to run daemons or cgi or anything else
    under.  If applications need to run as a user other than root then they
    should have a user for that application, eg Oracle DB server runs as
    the user oracle.

    in.fingerd is a special case and it is running as nobody explicitly because
    there should be no sensitive files that are owned by the nobody user.  If
    you have a system where there are local files that are owned by nobody
    then you have a configuration error or a bug in another application but it
    isn't in.fingerd's problem.

    --
    Darren J Moffat