Re: Webmin Doesn't Clean Env (root exploit)

From: Marcus Meissner (Marcus.Meissnerat_private)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 07:14:06 PDT

    On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 04:55:35PM -0400, J. Nick Koston wrote:
    > Not sure if this is known, however I know I've seen quite a few people
    > still using webmin 0.84.
    >
    > Webmin doesn't seem to clean the env properly when starting apache
    > (probably in other cases as well)
    >
    > It leaves the var HTTP_AUTHORIZATION set.  All you need to do is run
    > it though a mime 64 decode and you have the login and password to
    > webmin.  (it also leaves SERVER_PORT set so there should be no problem
    > figuring out where the webmin is)

    This is also a problem with newer versions.

    While it now uses a Cookie to save authorization information, this cookie
    is passed to apache as environment variable and could be queried, environment
    variable is:

    	HTTP_COOKIE=sid=1054633991

    If you have this session id, you can attach to a running webmin session
    easily (for instance if the administrator forgot to logoff and just quitted
    his browser or has it still open).

    Ciao, Marcus
    --
         /  __/____/  /                Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH