Re: solaris 2.6, 7 yppasswd vulnerability

From: Matt Power (mhpowerat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 20:49:30 PDT

    In http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/187086 Jose Nazario
    <joseat_private> wrote

    >A buffer overflow exploit (for the SPARC architecture) has been found in
    >the wild which takes advantage of an unchecked buffer in the 'yppasswd'
    >service on Solaris 2.6, 7 machines.

    The publicly available exploit titled "rpc.yppasswdd SPARC remote
    r000t mray/metaray 04/01" also can be used for remote root compromise
    of Solaris 8 systems. Specifically, on a machine running this daemon:

      Solaris Fingerprint Database entry
      (http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/fileFingerprints.pl)

      14787f86620cab4a2619a819982d2dd5 - - 1 match(es)
                                canonical-path:
                                /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/rpc.yppasswdd
                                package: SUNWypu
                                version: 11.8.0,REV=2000.01.08.18.12
                                architecture: sparc
                                source: Solaris 8/SPARC

    that exploit was able to start a "/usr/sbin/inetd -s z" process.

    A few other notes about this issue:

      -- the earlier posting (and the referenced web page
         http://www.incidents.org/news/yppassword.php) both mention the
         command "ps -ef | grep yppassword". That spelling happens to
         not work since the daemon is named rpc.yppasswdd.

      -- it also suggests that if there's output from
         "rpcinfo -p | grep 100009" (on a Solaris 2.6 or 7 SPARC) then the
         system is vulnerable. Solaris can provide a "100009" RPC service
         either via rpc.yppasswdd, or (if the system is an NIS+ server
         running in NIS-Compatibility mode) via rpc.nispasswdd. When
         the exploit is run against an rpc.nispasswdd, there's a syslog

           rpc.nispasswdd[###]: received yp password update request
            from (various binary data followed by a shell command)

         and rpc.nispasswdd continues running. I don't know for sure
         whether rpc.nispasswdd can be vulnerable to this exploit, but I
         saw no vulnerability in any of my tests (which were on Solaris 7).

    Matt Power
    BindView Corporation, RAZOR Team
    mhpowerat_private