IPC@Chip - Fixes

From: Siberian (i.am.a@x-men.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 16:43:38 PDT

    Sentry Research Labs
    www.sentry-labs.de.vu

    Last week, we published bugs and flaws in BECK GmbH's IPC@Chip. Today an
    offical analysis was published by Beck which cobntains information on fixes
    and classification. We are happy to see that there is someone really trying
    to do their best to fix their product. The comunication during the first
    contact and today was really good and we want to thank BECK GmbH for being
    so nice.

    Ok, here is the offical statement, please add it to the bugtray
    vulnerabilities databases, to inform customers about updates and fixes.

    regards,
    Siberian

    ---cut---

    This week, some alleged security risks with the BECK IPC@CHIP were
    published.
    In this text we would like to comment to these possible security risks.
    We would like to classify each item in a category:
    1. Security risks that we confirmed and we have to handle in future BIOS
    versions.
    2. Security risks that are caused by a default setting that makes the first
    use of the product easy. The system offers configuration settings to avoid
    these possible risks. We will create a 'security manual' that addresses
    these items.
    3. Items that we do not regard as a misbehaviour/risk or that we could not
    reproduce.

    TelnetD

    DEFAULT passwords
    Claim: The IPC is using a TelnetD with factory set DEFAULT Passwords
    ("tel").
    Analysis: Category 2. Password can be configured.

    Brute Force
    Claim: Because the TelnetD isn't using a random delay on it's login attemps
    and it isn't counting or logging any bad passwords, it's possible to brute
    force the password in no time. A demonstration tool is available on our
    website.
    Analysis: Category 1. Already fixed. Test version is available upon request.

    Lock up
    Claim: Only one user may use the TelnetD at once and there isn't any timout
    set by default. So it's possible to lock access fot the real admin. Just
    connect to the IPC and leave a telnet window open and untouched.
    Analysis: Category 2. Timeout can be configured.

    User Guess Attack
    Claim: By analysing the return value given by the TelnetD on login it's
    possible to find existing user accounts. A demonstration tool is available
    on our webpage.
    Analysis: Category 1. Already fixed. Test version is available upon request.

    Webserver

    CHIP.INI
    Claim: The webserver root directory is set to / by default. A attacker may
    download the chip.ini file, containing all logins and passwords by typing
    i.e http://ipcchipip/chip.ini.
    Analysis: Category 2. Can be configured.

    Long Requests
    Claim: If a real long request is send the server stops responding, but the a
    few moments later everything is well again. All requests send during the
    downtime are lost.
    Analysis: Category 3. Downtime is not longer as it takes to process the
    request. No misbehaviour could be reproduced.

    FTPD
    Claim: The IPC is using a FTPD with factory set DEFAULT Passwords
    ("anonymous" or "ftp"), both a full access accounts.
    Analysis: Category 2. Can be configured.

    SYN flooding
    Claim: By SYN flooding or mass request HTTP files the IPC may be blocked for
    some time. There is a max. of  only 64 sockets, so a lame DoS attack is
    really easy.
    Analysis: Category 3. Tests have shown that our system is not sensitive to
    SYN flooding. The webserver itself is limiting the number of simultaneous
    connections, thus the 64 sockets are not 'consumed'.

    ChipCfg
    Claim: This CGI Scipt is installed by default and can't be removed. It
    reveals network data to anyone, also possible attackers.
    Analysis: Category 2. The API allows removal of this CGI with the CGI_REMOVE
    function.

    FTPD
    Claim: By adding just one user to the system, the DEFAULT accounts are not
    disabled completly, "anonymous" still works and grands full access.
    Analysis: Category 2. Both users most be configured as listed in the
    documentation.

    TelnetD
    Claim: By adding just one user to the system, the DEFAULT accounts are not
    disabled, "tel" still works and grands full access.
    Analysis: Category 2. Both users most be configured as listed in the
    documentation.

    Ernest Schloesser
    Beck IPC GmbH