Re: TWIG SQL query bugs

From: Gunther Birznieks (guntherat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 04:37:53 PDT

    At 09:48 AM 5/31/2001 -0700, kj wrote:
    > > PHP used to have an option to automatically use addslashes() on any
    > variable
    > > passed to it via POST or GET.  Please see your PHP.INI file and set the
    > > appropriate setting for "magic_quotes_gpc"
    >

    >Isn't the "magic_quotes_gpc" only for GET/POST/COOKIES. For SQL
    >statements to dbs I think you need to initialize magic_quotes_runtime
    >for the addslashes() default.

    The problem with magic_quotes_gpc is that it is a global variable in PHP.
    Many sysadmins turn it off because they may be using a program that
    requires them not to be escaped. At least I understand this from a talk on
    advanced PHP techniques someone gave at ApacheCon a few months ago.

    Unfortunately, I don't think magic_quotes_runtime is on by default if it
    does what you say. The manual says it affects DB routines that return data
    which implies it affects data returned, it doesn't mention anything about
    the DB routines that only accept input parameters and never return anything.

    Maybe someone with more PHP experience and a handy PHP engine could verify
    this.

    Many of the books that I have seen on PHP *assume* when they teach
    programmers  that magic_quotes_gpc is ON in their security model because
    this is how PHP is set up by default.

    Unfortunately, this is not the truth and I can only imagine that there must
    be many PHP scripts out there that also follow this assumption -- because
    the people who write the code are probably reading these books and learning
    to code that way.

    >K.J.

    Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieksat_private)
    eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
    http://www.eXtropia.com/