Re[2]: SECURITY.NNOV: Netscape 4.7x Messanger user information retrival

From: 3APA3A (3APA3Aat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 01:31:50 PDT

    Hello Thomas,

    --Wednesday, June 06, 2001, 8:36:39 PM, you wrote to bugtraqat_private:

    TC> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, 3APA3A wrote:

    Risk : Low

    TC> This does not seem like a real issue to me, and it certainly
    TC> does not qualify as an exploit.  This information would seem

    Yes,  as  I wrote in advisory I really threat this problem as security
    related  only  in  conjunction  with  others.  Example  is  quote from
    Netscape security notes:
    http://home.netscape.com/security/notes/index.html

    "JavaScript  Cookie  Exploit  -  An  exploit was reported for Netscape
    Communicator  4.72  and  earlier  in which a hostile site can read the
    links  in  a user's bookmark file and some attributes of HTML files if
    the  user's  profile  name and the Communicator installation directory
    path are known to the hostile site".

    Now,  you  can know user's profile name and installation directory and
    can  launch  attack  automatically by e-mail. E-mail message can "call
    back"  "hostile  site"  with  information  on  user's profile. I don't
    believe this is the only exploit of this kind.

    If you still think it's not security issue - well, you're right :)

    TC> useful only if we believed that security through obscurity had
    TC> merit.  Compound this with the fact that most people are not even
    TC> trying to hide their user account names, and that Netscape mail
    TC> locations are typically standardized in default directories
    TC> anyway.  This information appears to be useless for anyone trying
    TC> to compromise security.

    And I _completely_ disagree with your opinion on login. You're talking
    about corporate security while I care about individual privacy.

    Sure,    if    you    use    name    Thomas   Corriher   with   e-mail
    tcorriherat_private  while reading your IMAP folder with PINE from
    your  personal  notebook  your login name and location of your host is
    really  not  important.  But  if  you use name "3APA3A" and you have a
    couple  more  names  of  this  kind  and  you read your mailboxes from
    corporate office and you wanna stay little bit anonymous in same time,
    things are slightly different. In my case I don't care and you can get
    my login name by another way, for example via netstat (I didn't filter
    it). But in different situation I will be really upset if someone will
    know  my Unix or NT login + my IP just because i read his e-mail :) In
    this  case  I  _definitely_  wanna  replace  my  e-mail  software with
    something  that  doesn't allow JavaScript at all :) (In fact I use The
    Bat! which does not).

    TC> It is interesting, and I would like to commend the poster for
    TC> his cleverness nevertheless.

    Wow.  Thanx :) I found this "feature" of Netscape is very convenient -
    it  allows  me  to  spy  how often my web site is mentioned in private
    correspondence :))

    --
    ~/3APA3A
    Но ведь кому угодно могут прийти в голову яйца, пятки и епископы. (Лем)