Broker FTP Server 5.9.5.0 Buffer Overflow / DoS / Directory Traversal

From: ByteRage (byterageat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 01:38:04 PDT

    Broker FTP Server 5.9.5.0 Buffer Overflow / DoS /
    Directory Traversal

    TESTED ON

    Broker FTP Server 5.9.5.0 on Windows 98, likely to
    work on NT / 2k

    DESCRIPTION

    1) Buffer Overflow / DoS

    The DoS, which completely freezes the victim machine,
    can be triggered by repeatedly sending
    the following command (after logging in) :

    CWD . .
    (CD ". ." with an FTP client)

    or even better by adding some more spaces between the
    dots :
    CWD .
    .

    the server seems to regard these dirs as valid and
    appends them to the current path, causing a DoS after
    a certain bound has been reached... (I think you have
    to repeat the last one about 30 times or so...)

    I have attached the script brokerdos.pl which
    automates this.

    Maybe I'm getting delusional, but I have been able
    once to make Broker FTP Server crash this way setting
    the EIP to something like "  .\" (and my SoftIce
    popped up) so this buffer overflow might be
    exploitable... I have not been able to reproduce this
    situation afterwards though.

    Also, the file at C:\Program Files\TransSoft
    Ltd\Broker 5\Data\Errors.log gave me access violations
    at offsets that were definitely taken from the input
    string. (like 20202020, 2020202E etc...)

    2) Directory Traversal

    You can map out the contents of every drive available
    to the system in the following manner...
    (You don't seem to be able to upload / download files
    though)

    To go out of the home directory type the following in
    your FTP client :

    CD C: or CD C:\

    (you can also go to the A: drive with CD A: (or
    CD-roms & network drives))
    Now you can list out the contents of the drive with
    the FTP client :

    LS

    And dive into subdirs with something like :

    CD C:\WINDOWS\

    etc...
    Although you can map every drive, you don't seem to be
    able to send/recieve files. It is also possible to
    traverse the homedirectory using UNC pathnames
    (starting with \\) which might be used to remotely
    access local shares.

    VENDOR STATUS

    I have sent this advisory to <supportat_private>

    You can get the updated advisory at
    http://elf.box.sk/byterage/adv7.htm